My name in Holly Southey, and I’m running for President of the Inns of Court society for 2018/2019.
This year I have been fortunate enough to have been a member of the Inns committee in the role of Academic Events Coordinator. This role was the perfect opportunity to throw myself into committee work and take on the responsibility of organising a number of successful trips most notably to three of the Inns of Court and also the Supreme Court in conjunction with the Canadian Law Society. These trips are a key part of the Inns ethos and their organisation has demonstrated both my dedication to the committee as well as my capabilities in liaising with outside agencies, colleagues and the other societies as well as managing my time with the stresses of second year!
Having already been a member of the committee this year I believe I have gained the perfect insight into the day-to-day committee workings and am able to reflect on the ups and downs of the last year in order to proceed. I am well aware of the dedicated hard work and time commitments that being President requires.
I have also informally represented the Law School for the last two years playing for the netball team Hales’ Angels, demonstrating my commitment to the law school and to getting the full uni experience.
Furthermore, I believe my skill set lends itself towards this leadership role. I have a natural aptitude for leading a team whilst also working well as part of one as demonstrated by my past role on the committee. I am also very driven and organised and believe that it is these characteristics that would make me the perfect Pres for Inns.
Inns is integral to the diversity of the Law School, and I am keen to continue its work in dispelling the apparent predilection towards obtaining a training contract rather than considering the bar, raising the Inns profile and providing diverse, but more importantly fun, opportunities so students can make informed career decisions. I propose to do this by:
- Improving the ‘marketing’ of society events through more effective communication with students reaching out more through social media.
- Introduce regular committee meetings with all members to improve the organisation of the society.
- Raise the profile of the society within the professional world, working with the treasurer to secure more funding, which will thus allow a greater range of events and trips to be offered.
- Invite alumni to the law school in order to inspire students in a relatable manner and demonstrate that, despite the intensely competitive nature of life as a barrister, a degree from Soton stands you in good stead to succeed.
- More informal socials throughout the year.
- Strengthen Inns relationship with Law Soc further offering joint socials and events.
For these reasons I would love to have the opportunity be your next Pres. Thanks in advance for your vote! 😉